When you select Configure Fleet Settings in the left menu, you will see either a Vehicles page or a Drivers page, depending on how your fleet manages its CoPilot app licenses.
Vehicle-based fleets typically install CoPilot on company equipment mounted in a vehicle or on mobile devices assigned to a specific vehicle.
On the Vehicles screen, you can:
- Add, edit, or delete vehicles from your fleet. Vehicles can be added individually or in bulk. (If you use CoPilot through an ELD provider, your vehicles may automatically be synced with the Vehicles screen.)
- Assign vehicles to Vehicle Groups. Vehicle Groups allow you to assign Vehicle Routing Profiles, Configuration Profiles, Map Sets, Route Modifiers, and Custom Places to specific groups of vehicles in your fleet.
Each vehicle has a:
- Vehicle ID: This is the ID you use to assign a vehicle to a Vehicle Group. CoPilot then uses this ID to identify which Vehicle Group settings should be applied to a particular device in a vehicle. CoPilot also uses this ID to populate reports in the various web tools, including RouteReporter compliance reporting, and for tagging driver feedback in the MapSure web tool.
- Vehicle Name: This is an optional field that can further identify a vehicle. (For example, if the Vehicle ID is a number and you want a "human readable" way to identify a vehicle.)
- Vehicle Group: These are the groups, if any, a vehicle is assigned to for CoPilot settings.
If you also use Account Manager to manage your CoPilot licenses, any vehicles added in the Vehicles screen will also be added to the Assets screen. However, CoPilot licenses can only be assigned to vehicles in the Assets screen.
Vehicles can be added to the Vehicles page one at a time by selecting the Add Vehicle button. In the Create Vehicle dialog, you are prompted to enter a Username/Vehicle ID (required) and Vehicle Name (optional). You can also assign the vehicle to an existing Vehicle Group when you create the vehicle or at a later time in the Vehicle Groups page.
Uploading multiple vehicles
Rather than adding vehicles individually, multiple vehicles can be uploaded all at once using a comma-separated (.csv) file. To do this:
Step 1: Create a .csv file of vehicles
- The file should contain the following three columns: Vehicle ID, Vehicle Name, and Vehicle Groups. Only Vehicle ID is required. (You can also download this template for how the .csv file should look.)
Step 2: Import vehicles
- On the Vehicles page, select the Import button to open the Import Vehicles dialog.
- The File Encoding drop-down is only necessary if you are importing a file with characters encoded in UTF-8 format. This format is sometimes used to properly display special characters in names. (See Step 7 below.) If you aren't sure whether the file uses UTF-8, leave the drop-down set at Windows Latin.
- Click the Field Separator drop-down to select how data in your file is separated or leave it unchanged, and the importer automatically determines the file type.
- By default, First row is headers box is checked. This tells the importer that the first row of your .csv file is a header row for each column. You can uncheck it if there are no headers in your file.
- A dialog opens where you need to map the input from your .csv to the matching columns in Account Manager's Vehicle screen. Vehicle ID is the only required field you must map to your data for the importer to execute.
- After you Select Matching Fields, click on Import to continue. If the importer detects any errors in your data, a dialog will open where you can fix them before the import is completed. (Note: If you notice that special characters in names, such as the German umlauts, are not displaying properly, click on Back to return to the initial import screen. Select UTF-8 under File Encoding and resume your import.)
- Once imported, the new vehicles appear in your Vehicles list.
Select the Export button to download a .csv file with the list of vehicles in your fleet's account.